July 15, 2009

Freddie Aguilar Agrees That Filipinos Are Monkeys


Last week, Freddie Aguilar made a last ditch effort to stay relevant. He commented that Pinoy talents who are making waves in the US like Charice Pempengco and Arnel Pineda proved what Mariah Carey said about Filipinos being monkeys. He was referring to Pinoy talents not having their own identities and imitating foreign singers.

Freddie Aguilar was criticized for calling Filipinos monkeys, but he was quick to clarify that it wasn’t him who called Charice monkey, but foreign singers like Mariah Carey.


Semantics, Freddie. I can’t fault Freddie Aguilar for his comments because as I am found of saying, “opinions are like assholes; everybody has one.” Own up to what you said because it amounted to same thing. I also can’t find anything wrong with saying those bitchy comments on the occasion of the opening of your music bar. Free publicity! I think Freddie succeeded because I can’t remember the last time Freddie Aguilar stayed this long in the media spotlight Score one for team Freddie!

Of course, Gary Valenciano and Arnel Pineda have weighed in on Freddie’s high opinions of his talents. Basically, what they said was boring and not worth repeating. “Grow some balls and hurt Freddie’s feelings as well,” is what I would tell them if I see them. But since I’m always in front of the PC, I’ll just type those words here.

But I like the comments made by Gary Valenciano’s son, Gab Valenciano. He said, “may be he’s {Freddie} just jealous.” LOL Typical of his generation. “You’re just jelly cause I’m better than you are..blah, blah.”

Freddie made specific comments about Charice having had the opportunity to sing on Oprah and in a concert with Celine Dion but she still chose to sing Whitney and Celine songs. I’m simple minded but even I know if an artist like Charice is just starting out, she can’t demand what types of songs she sings.

Never mind, Freddie. I’m sure Charice and her stagemother are busy counting their millions and living in style in their dream house in Cavite.

I read that Freddie’s song, “Anak,” which I think is his only claim to fame (I might be wrong, though), has been translated in many languages. Isn’t that done to give a song global appeal? Freddie might say it’s not the same thing. Fine!

By the way, Freddie also proposed changing the last line of our national anthem Bayang Magiliw “Lupang Hinirang.” He wants the ending to be just “…buhay ay langit sa piling mo” and the line “ang mamatay ng dahil sa iyo” be removed and changed to “buhay ay langit sa piling mo.” His reason and I quote “eh di kayo na lang ang mamatay, ako ayaw ko.”

So Freddie, if it involves death, let others do it. Ninoy Aquino is rolling in his grave right now; rolling his eyes and giving you a killing side-eye. Is Freddie sure he’s not after royalties if his lyrics replace the old line of the national anthem?

Let’s bid Freddie good luck on his quest. When pig’s fly. When hell freezes over. Those are likely to happen first before the stalwart sentinels at the National Historic Institute let him mess with our precious Bayang Magiliw. He should have a talk with Martin Nieverra.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:22 AM

    You like to use the statment “opinions are like assholes; everybody has one" a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:42 AM

    Actually, she used it just once. On the right side of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:21 AM

    Maybe you're right. But I found it extremely redundant if you see it every single page on the right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:50 PM

    Don't look on the right, then. Well, that's what I would do if it bothers me so much. It's not my blog so what she writes is up to her/him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:45 AM

    True, True. I never made a big deal just made a small remark about it.

    ReplyDelete